TECHNICAL SERVICES SUPERVISOR
Position Overview: Under the supervision of the Library Director, performs responsible and varied paraprofessional, technical, and clerical work for the Library in the area of technical services. Plans, organizes, and manages the proper functioning of the technical services department on a daily basis. Also assists patrons in the use of library services, equipment, and facilities.
- Understands and is able to perform all jobs related to library technical services, including but not limited to: cataloging and classifying library materials; maintaining an accurate, up-to-date database of library holdings; and physically processing items being added to and withdrawn from the collection
- Maintains consistency in the cataloging, classification, and physical processing of library materials
- Monitors the daily operation of the online cataloging system, and acts as local liaison with the network (SWAN) on technical services matters
- Recommends work procedures following professional standards; communicates with the Library Director regarding Technical Services policies and procedures
- Inventories and reports Technical Services supply needs.
Supervision Exercised: Supervises staff and volunteers assigned to Technical Services Department
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understands the latest professional cataloging and classification rules, plus library processing conventions
- Ability to organize work for efficient use of time
- Ability to word process and type with reasonable speed and exceptional accuracy
- Ability to keep records accurately
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public, with the library’s business contacts, and with other staff
- Ability to work independently
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree required. LTA Preferred. A minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience working in a public library and familiarity with automated integrated library systems and online searching preferred.
Full/Part Time & Hours: Part Time, 20 hours per week including evening and weekend hours.
Salary: Salary $15.00 – $17.00 per hour, based upon qualifications and experience.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Ted Bodewes- Director
North Riverside Public Library District
2400 S. Des Plaines Ave
North Riverside, IL 60305
Applications for employment at the North Riverside Public Library are available at the Circulation Desk during regular library hours. Application forms must be completed by all applicants and returned to the Circulation Desk.
When a vacancy occurs, it is advertised in the Library and on the Library website. In addition, our application files are checked for qualified candidates. The applicants whose qualifications and experience best match those needed for the position will be contacted.
All applications remain in the active file for six months and will be considered for vacancies that occur within that time. An applicant whose application has been on file for six months may call the Director and request that the application remain active for another six months.
The North Riverside Public Library extends equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons in all occupations and all levels of occupation without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age or disability except in cases of bona fide occupational qualifications. The North Riverside Public Library does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs or activities.