How Do I Download An E-Book Or Audiobook?
North Riverside Public Library offers access to thousands of e-books through the Media On Demand service, hosted by Overdrive, Inc.
What Is Media On Demand?
Media On Demand is a partnership between over 50 suburban libraries that have agreed to share resources in order to make a much larger number of e-books available to their patrons than any individual library could offer.
Tips On Searching For E-Books:
Please note that searching for items through Media On Demand is separate from searching for items in the SWAN library catalog. Although some e-books are displayed in the SWAN catalog, you will need to go to the Media On Demand site in order to check availability and/or place holds on items. To begin searching Media On Demand, visit the site now.
To begin downloading e-books or audiobooks, please click on the instructions for your device below.
Note: You will also need your library card number and SWAN PIN number; if you do not have a PIN number, see our instructions on “How do I use my library card online with SWAN?”
Kindle Devices & Kindle App
- Getting Started with Kindle
- Getting Started with Kindle Fire Tablets
- Using the Kindle App on other platforms
- How to return a Kindle book to the library
- How to transfer Kindle books to Kindle devices via USB
NOOK, Kobo & Other eReaders
Personal Computers & Other Devices
Smartphones & Mobile Devices
- How to borrow and enjoy audiobooks, e-books, and streaming videos using an Android device
- What formats work with Android devices?
- How to read e-books with OverDrive’s app for Android
- How to return a downloaded title using OverDrive’s app for Android
iOS Devices (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch)
- How to borrow and enjoy audiobooks, e-books, and streaming videos using an iOS device
- What formats work with iOS devices?
- How to read e-books with OverDrive’s app for iOS
- How to return a downloaded title using OverDrive’s app for iOS
In addition to these instructions, how-to videos are also available for many devices. The library also offers PDF instruction guides for Kindle (and Kindle Fire), iOS devices, Android devices, and other eReaders. If you need further assistance, visit Overdrive’s Help Page, call the library at 708-447-0869, or make an appointment for a one-on-one training session.