The library subscribes to several research databases which can be accessed from any computer with Internet access. All you need is your North Riverside Library card.
AtoZdatabases – Find a person; find a business; do a job search and use a resume template; do genealogy, background and criminal searches; and much more!
Ancestry Library Edition, one of the most important genealogical collections available today with unparalleled coverage of the United States and the United Kingdom (in library use only).
Chicago Sun-Times (NewsBank) – Full-text articles from the Chicago Sun-Times going back to 1986 as well as “Newsweek” and 27 other news magazines. Also includes Special Reports and Hot Topics.
Consumer Health Complete where you can find easy-to-understand health and medical information in popular reference books, encyclopedias and magazine articles (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
Consumer Reports where you can find ratings of over 5,000 products (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
ERIC, the Education Resource Information Center, which provides access to education literature and resources (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
Explora for student research which includes the subjects Arts and Literature, Biography, Business and Careers, Current Events, Geography and Culture, Health, History and Social Science, and Science and Math (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
Explora Educator’s Edition for teacher resources which includes Lesson Plans, Student Tools, Curriculum Standards, and Valuable Sites for Teachers (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
Grolier Lands and Peoples – Provides information on countries and the various people groups and cultures that inhabit our earth.
Mango Languages, which prepares learners for realistic conversations and strengthens everyday communication skills in over 70 world languages.
MasterFile Premier which provides full text for nearly 1,700 general interest periodicals dating back to 1975 (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
North Riverside Suburban Life (NewsBank) – Search local and state issues and community events on topics such as business, health, education, government, politics, sports and more from 2/4/09-Current. Also includes Special Reports and Hot Topics.
NoveList Plus where you can search for reading recommendations, author read-alikes and award winners (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
NoveList K-8 Plus for children and teen reading recommendations (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
Science Reference Center which contains full text for hundreds of science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals, and other sources (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
Small Business Reference Center provides information on topics from starting a company, operations management and sales to growing or rescuing a business (listed under EBSCOhost Research Databases).
Recommended Free Websites
- Lexile.com – Using the Lexile Framework, you can easily find “just right” books either for school or for pleasure reading. You can also easily know when a reader might need a little help, or a little more challenge.
- USA.gov – Whatever you want or need from the U.S. Government is here. You’ll find a rich treasure of online information, services, and resources.
- IRS.gov – Look up and print federal tax forms and publications and access other online services.
- Illinois Department of Revenue – Look up and print state tax forms and publications.
- Illinois Department on Aging – Look up and print the Circuit Breaker form IL-1363 and find assistance on aging issues.
- North Riverside, Illinois – Search the website of the village of North Riverside.
- HealthCare.gov – At this site, you’ll find the Health Insurance Marketplace where you can go to apply for health coverage, compare plans, and enroll.
- Illinois Health & Safety – Find health care information and resources for insurance, prescriptions, hospitals, long-term care, and providers.
- Medline Plus – Brings together authoritative information from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health to help answer health questions. It also has extensive information about drugs, an illustrated medical encyclopedia, interactive patient tutorials, and the latest health news.
- Healthfinder.gov – Resources on a wide range of health topics selected from approximately 1,400 government and non-profit organizations.
- Project Gutenberg – Offers over 40,000 free high quality ebooks to download to your PC, Kindle, Android, iOS or other portable device.
- Worldcat – Search for items in other libraries throughout the state. Ask a reference librarian to request an item for you through Interlibrary Loan.
- I-Share – Search for library materials in academic or college libraries in Illinois. Ask your reference librarian to request an item for you.
- RAILS Library System -The Library System to which the North Riverside Public Library belongs.